As I have said before, i am not a teacher yet, but according to some information about listening, I would like to say something very important related to listening skills. We as teachers have to take into account three different stages when we are going to make a listening exercise, therefore we can create suitable activities in each step to get a successful exercise. Pre-listening, during listening and post listening; The first one is related to give to students a previous idea about the topic that they are going to listen to, so we can introduce the topic or make some activities in order to get students familiarize with it. The next one is during the listening, here we have to be really specific about what students need to listen for. In this way the topic will be easier to identify. Finally, after the reading we can reinforce the listening exercise making some activities in order to extend the topic and the students can remember the new vocabulary.
Well, first you have to give a set of directions for students to follow. and you have You check for understanding and feel confident that everyone knows what they are supposed to do. Second you have to do an introduction about the topic, and Trough some pre-listenings, could be show to students some vocabulary using different activities such as flash cards, pictures, and pronunciation about words that you going to use in the listening, So you explain to them the meaning and the correct pronunciation. This process help to students to understand the key words and that way they will be able understand the activity that you want to develop. In this case the listening exercise. In my case as teacher the before process is useful because students understand and they really enjoy to do the exercises, and they understand what they are listening and this one makes easier to the development of listening activities
I have tried different ways when doing a listening exercise. But the most common is to play the whole recording once, students have to try their best to complete the activity and then I play it again little by little but asking them what they understand in that little piece of information, so I do not give them the answers but I try to make the listening exercise easier for them because in other way they can get frustrated. Most of the time this process is effective since they feel happy when they understand the recording however I would like to prove more effective ways for doing so. Before playing the recording I use some strategies to introduce the listening exercise, for example picture exploration, asking questions to students and review the vocabulary. Of course it is important that students have a clear idea about what they are going to do.
Sometimes I ask students to take notes about what they listen to, since it is a basic level I ask them to write words, the words they understand and then I ask them to try to write a complete sentence linking those words. This exercise work in some students, the majority of them but there are some others that feel frustrated because they do not write anything, I think this kind f exercise could become very useful by practicing a lot of times.
Before doing a listening exercise, I usually give them a list of the new vocabulary they might find difficult in the listening exercise. I guide them from the beginning until the end in order to verify they really understand what they are listening to but the truth it is that you never know as listening assessment is unobservable as in the chapter said. Having the vocabulary a day before the exercise allows us to help them to get involve and deeply understand the purpose of the activity. Students have to create sentences or a short story with this new vocabulary and have to present it in front of their classmates to make sure they really understand the meaning of the words. Then after doing this, I start with the exercise, in the first part of the listening exercise they have to listen without writing or doing anything then the second part, they listen one more time and they have to write some ideas about what they have listened to. Finally, on the third listening they have to do the activity I have prepared for them. I think this process is effective because it helps them with specific objectives which are to recognize the kind of speech in the first place, the type of speech is determined according to their needs and finally help them to interpret the message.
First at all, I choose the recording, it will be a simple conversation because my students are beginners, then I start with the pre-listening; sometimes I ask the students what they know about the topic, in order to check their background. I also try that they make predictions about the listening based on the pictures that the worksheet has and for every listening activity, I always create a word list with new words that students could find in the listening. Then, the next stage is while-listening, for this part students should be focus for the listening but they should be also relax; for this stage it is better to start looking for general understanding and then you ask them for specific information. Finally, during the post-listening, I will do activities like repetition in order that they remember some vocabulary and expression in the listening. Definitely, this process most of the time is effective because students are following some steps and I try that the listening will be easy for them and they catch as such information as they can, also when you put on practice the pre-listening give them ideas about the listening and they are not going to be lost about the topic.
When I am doing a listening activity with my students, I follow some steps before, during and after the process. I used to use the fallowing steps due to the effectiveness.
Step 1:the class before listening exercise,I give to my students a list of new vocabulary related with the topic, in this way they are contextualized. Step 2: after, I present students with the background knowledge that they need for their comprehension, and I solve any query. Step 3: the day of the activity, I start with the listening, I allow them to listen the record three times, the first time, it is just to identify the environment, sounds and the general idea. Step 4: the second time, they listen again to catch details, and they have to take notes about important information for them. Step 5: the last listening, they receive the exercise that I made for them, and I give 10 minutes for reading what is the activity about. Finally they listen the last record and catch the ideas base on the activity. Step 6: after listening, I ask for something new, learnt during the listening.
I think that the steps that I fallow are very useful for my students, because they have been prepare for the activity, so they are not worry about it, they are just enjoying therefore they are learning.
Firstly, when I do a listening exercise I ask questions to my students about the topic they are going to listen to. In this way they can activate their prior knowledge and remember all the previous ideas they have about it. Then, I contextualize my students and I explain what they are going to listen to. For instance: “You are going to listen to a dialogue between two kids…” This can help my students to be located in the specific situation or I can ask them to predict about what the conversations is going to be about. It depends on the type of listening. After that, I give them explicitly the purpose of the listening exercise, students should find meaningful for them and for the class every activity, and this is the moment where I explain them one strategy that they can apply in the exercise. For example: “While you listen, I want you to take notes of every free time activity you listen to in the dialogue”. In this case, they would be applying the note taking strategy. Then, as a class, we can share ideas about what they listened or students can compare what they have written in pairs. Another option is that they can confirm their predictions with the books and finally we follow an activity to expand the vocabulary or the target language of the listening. At this moment, I should have a specific artifact to prove their comprehension and give the respective feedback.
The first thing that I want to talk about is that I am disagree about the writer thoughts, because the four skill have the same level the importance and the difficulty, anyway in my own definition listening is the ability to understand and decoding sounds with a specific purposes that is to get messages as ideas, thoughts, believes of other individuals I think we as teachers must have to take into account that listening skill has some stages as pre-listening, while listening and post-listening, these stages are very important for all kinds of English levels, each stage has a purpose, as recognize vocabulary, sounds, phonics, etc. As I already said is important to take students to learn listening in extensive way, it could be with the help of internet that students can speak and understand students to different English countries.
For develop the listening skill is important to do different activities before to present the listening exercise. Teacher should to show the topic, some unknown and important vocabulary then teacher can develop a pre listening activity for students activate the prior knowledge and in this way the students can understand in a better way the listening activity, also is important that teacher give a clear instruction and create different material that students enjoy.
Usually when I apply a listening exercise, I check that the listening being authentic and I choose a topic interesting for the students according to their likes, level and context. I say to my students to check the new vocabulary they might find difficult in the listening exercise, then they have to read the questions of the listening exercise, they have to take notes about the listening, I write the words that I understood.At the end of the exercise I give the respective feedback. I think that those steps are very important and useful to have a better comprehension.
When I do a listening exercise with my students, firs I try to present to them key words that would enable them to activate their schema that will help them to generate certain questions that will be helpful for them while listening. Then I contextualize the topic to them to make it even clearer by activating their prior knowledge, ideas, information related with the topic in question, so that they know what to expect from the listening, and therefore they can actually fulfill the task, with the best results possible. Of course we as teachers have to make sure that the students can actually relate with the topic. After the contextualization I tend to ask questions related with the topic and surely that will help them get better acquainted with the topic they are about to listen to. And before setting the recording for the actual listening activity to take place, I hand them the questions regarding the listening and together we go through the questions. After this I play the recording 3 times, it is usually a good thing to allow them to make notes while listening to give them the chance to go back to the things they did not understand at first. By doing this I think my students feel confident that they will get good results during the activity.
I have to be honest when it comes to listening. In my three semesters of practicum, I am always trying to integrate the four skills my teachers have taught me all this time, however, I rather do other exercises than listening ones. It is worth mentioning that I am talking about formal listening assessment, because in the classroom I try to check as much as possible if my students understand what I say or not. Even though, with the 2 or 3 exercises that I have done, I always follow certain steps to help them understand assessments in a better way.
First of all, listening activities have everything to do with the theme they have been working on during the week. It‘s a matter of content validity! Secondly, I give students a list of possible unknown words which they are about to listen to. Moreover I ask them to answer some questions (in Spanish is ok) about the topic in order to know what they actually know about it and to relate their own experiences or knowledge with the activity. Finally, during the activity, I read the text three times and give them time to accomplish the activity, for example, I read a sentence and then I stop in the moment when they have to fill in the gaps or choose the correct answer. Just for the record: I always try to teach them vocabulary through listening: I ask them to write 1 sentence per word.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs I have said before, i am not a teacher yet, but according to some information about listening, I would like to say something very important related to listening skills.
ReplyDeleteWe as teachers have to take into account three different stages when we are going to make a listening exercise, therefore we can create suitable activities in each step to get a successful exercise. Pre-listening, during listening and post listening; The first one is related to give to students a previous idea about the topic that they are going to listen to, so we can introduce the topic or make some activities in order to get students familiarize with it. The next one is during the listening, here we have to be really specific about what students need to listen for. In this way the topic will be easier to identify. Finally, after the reading we can reinforce the listening exercise making some activities in order to extend the topic and the students can remember the new vocabulary.
Well, first you have to give a set of directions for students to follow. and you have You check for understanding and feel confident that everyone knows what they are supposed to do. Second you have to do an introduction about the topic, and Trough some pre-listenings, could be show to students some vocabulary using different activities such as flash cards, pictures, and pronunciation about words that you going to use in the listening, So you explain to them the meaning and the correct pronunciation. This process help to students to understand the key words and that way they will be able understand the activity that you want to develop. In this case the listening exercise.
ReplyDeleteIn my case as teacher the before process is useful because students understand and they really enjoy to do the exercises, and they understand what they are listening and this one makes easier to the development of listening activities
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have tried different ways when doing a listening exercise. But the most common is to play the whole recording once, students have to try their best to complete the activity and then I play it again little by little but asking them what they understand in that little piece of information, so I do not give them the answers but I try to make the listening exercise easier for them because in other way they can get frustrated. Most of the time this process is effective since they feel happy when they understand the recording however I would like to prove more effective ways for doing so. Before playing the recording I use some strategies to introduce the listening exercise, for example picture exploration, asking questions to students and review the vocabulary. Of course it is important that students have a clear idea about what they are going to do.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I ask students to take notes about what they listen to, since it is a basic level I ask them to write words, the words they understand and then I ask them to try to write a complete sentence linking those words. This exercise work in some students, the majority of them but there are some others that feel frustrated because they do not write anything, I think this kind f exercise could become very useful by practicing a lot of times.
Before doing a listening exercise, I usually give them a list of the new vocabulary they might find difficult in the listening exercise. I guide them from the beginning until the end in order to verify they really understand what they are listening to but the truth it is that you never know as listening assessment is unobservable as in the chapter said. Having the vocabulary a day before the exercise allows us to help them to get involve and deeply understand the purpose of the activity. Students have to create sentences or a short story with this new vocabulary and have to present it in front of their classmates to make sure they really understand the meaning of the words. Then after doing this, I start with the exercise, in the first part of the listening exercise they have to listen without writing or doing anything then the second part, they listen one more time and they have to write some ideas about what they have listened to. Finally, on the third listening they have to do the activity I have prepared for them.
ReplyDeleteI think this process is effective because it helps them with specific objectives which are to recognize the kind of speech in the first place, the type of speech is determined according to their needs and finally help them to interpret the message.
First at all, I choose the recording, it will be a simple conversation because my students are beginners, then I start with the pre-listening; sometimes I ask the students what they know about the topic, in order to check their background. I also try that they make predictions about the listening based on the pictures that the worksheet has and for every listening activity, I always create a word list with new words that students could find in the listening. Then, the next stage is while-listening, for this part students should be focus for the listening but they should be also relax; for this stage it is better to start looking for general understanding and then you ask them for specific information. Finally, during the post-listening, I will do activities like repetition in order that they remember some vocabulary and expression in the listening. Definitely, this process most of the time is effective because students are following some steps and I try that the listening will be easy for them and they catch as such information as they can, also when you put on practice the pre-listening give them ideas about the listening and they are not going to be lost about the topic.
ReplyDeleteWhen I am doing a listening activity with my students, I follow some steps before, during and after the process. I used to use the fallowing steps due to the effectiveness.
ReplyDeleteStep 1:the class before listening exercise,I give to my students a list of new vocabulary related with the topic, in this way they are contextualized.
Step 2: after, I present students with the background knowledge that they need for their comprehension, and I solve any query.
Step 3: the day of the activity, I start with the listening, I allow them to listen the record three times, the first time, it is just to identify the environment, sounds and the general idea.
Step 4: the second time, they listen again to catch details, and they have to take notes about important information for them.
Step 5: the last listening, they receive the exercise that I made for them, and I give 10 minutes for reading what is the activity about. Finally they listen the last record and catch the ideas base on the activity.
Step 6: after listening, I ask for something new, learnt during the listening.
I think that the steps that I fallow are very useful for my students, because they have been prepare for the activity, so they are not worry about it, they are just enjoying therefore they are learning.
Firstly, when I do a listening exercise I ask questions to my students about the topic they are going to listen to. In this way they can activate their prior knowledge and remember all the previous ideas they have about it. Then, I contextualize my students and I explain what they are going to listen to. For instance: “You are going to listen to a dialogue between two kids…” This can help my students to be located in the specific situation or I can ask them to predict about what the conversations is going to be about. It depends on the type of listening. After that, I give them explicitly the purpose of the listening exercise, students should find meaningful for them and for the class every activity, and this is the moment where I explain them one strategy that they can apply in the exercise. For example: “While you listen, I want you to take notes of every free time activity you listen to in the dialogue”. In this case, they would be applying the note taking strategy. Then, as a class, we can share ideas about what they listened or students can compare what they have written in pairs. Another option is that they can confirm their predictions with the books and finally we follow an activity to expand the vocabulary or the target language of the listening. At this moment, I should have a specific artifact to prove their comprehension and give the respective feedback.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing that I want to talk about is that I am disagree about the writer thoughts, because the four skill have the same level the importance and the difficulty, anyway in my own definition listening is the ability to understand and decoding sounds with a specific purposes that is to get messages as ideas, thoughts, believes of other individuals
ReplyDeleteI think we as teachers must have to take into account that listening skill has some stages as pre-listening, while listening and post-listening, these stages are very important for all kinds of English levels, each stage has a purpose, as recognize vocabulary, sounds, phonics, etc. As I already said is important to take students to learn listening in extensive way, it could be with the help of internet that students can speak and understand students to different English countries.
For develop the listening skill is important to do different activities before to present the listening exercise. Teacher should to show the topic, some unknown and important vocabulary then teacher can develop a pre listening activity for students activate the prior knowledge and in this way the students can understand in a better way the listening activity, also is important that teacher give a clear instruction and create different material that students enjoy.
ReplyDeleteUsually when I apply a listening exercise, I check that the listening being authentic and I choose a topic interesting for the students according to their likes, level and context. I say to my students to check the new vocabulary they might find difficult in the listening exercise, then they have to read the questions of the listening exercise, they have to take notes about the listening, I write the words that I understood.At the end of the exercise I give the respective feedback. I think that those steps are very important and useful to have a better comprehension.
ReplyDeleteWhen I do a listening exercise with my students, firs I try to present to them key words that would enable them to activate their schema that will help them to generate certain questions that will be helpful for them while listening. Then I contextualize the topic to them to make it even clearer by activating their prior knowledge, ideas, information related with the topic in question, so that they know what to expect from the listening, and therefore they can actually fulfill the task, with the best results possible. Of course we as teachers have to make sure that the students can actually relate with the topic. After the contextualization I tend to ask questions related with the topic and surely that will help them get better acquainted with the topic they are about to listen to. And before setting the recording for the actual listening activity to take place, I hand them the questions regarding the listening and together we go through the questions. After this I play the recording 3 times, it is usually a good thing to allow them to make notes while listening to give them the chance to go back to the things they did not understand at first. By doing this I think my students feel confident that they will get good results during the activity.
ReplyDeleteJorge Luis Mejía
26072078
I have to be honest when it comes to listening. In my three semesters of practicum, I am always trying to integrate the four skills my teachers have taught me all this time, however, I rather do other exercises than listening ones. It is worth mentioning that I am talking about formal listening assessment, because in the classroom I try to check as much as possible if my students understand what I say or not. Even though, with the 2 or 3 exercises that I have done, I always follow certain steps to help them understand assessments in a better way.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, listening activities have everything to do with the theme they have been working on during the week. It‘s a matter of content validity!
Secondly, I give students a list of possible unknown words which they are about to listen to. Moreover I ask them to answer some questions (in Spanish is ok) about the topic in order to know what they actually know about it and to relate their own experiences or knowledge with the activity.
Finally, during the activity, I read the text three times and give them time to accomplish the activity, for example, I read a sentence and then I stop in the moment when they have to fill in the gaps or choose the correct answer.
Just for the record: I always try to teach them vocabulary through listening: I ask them to write 1 sentence per word.